Sunday, March 26, 2006

Friday Night Fun

A couple of Fridays ago I came home around 9 or 9:30pm after some dinner and drinks with colleagues. I was going to watch a bit of TV and head to bed when I thought I heard a knock on my front door. I went to have a look but no one was there, but while standing at my door I had remembered that I had had some problems with the deadbolt on my door awhile back (I only use it when I go out of town) and decided to see if I could figure out what was wrong with it.

As a little bit of backround, most doors here have deadbolts that require a key from the inside and outside to open. I tried the lock while the door was open and it worked fine, then I closed the door and locked it from the inside. As I tried to unlock the door they key stopped moving right in the middle. I tried turning it a number of time and used some stuff I had lying around to get some additional leverage, but this only led to me breaking the key (see pic above) in the door. So now I was locked INTO my apartment, a broken key in the door and no way to get out. I tried for about an hour to open it using a variety of homemade tools, none of which works. While I'm working on the door the funniest thing happened: my power went out. So here I am on a friday night, locked into my apartment with a broken key in the door and my power goes out because the construction next door cut power lines by accident.

So what did I do? Nothing actually, I decided that I might as well relax. I had my iPod and a bottle of wine sitting around so I opened that and simply did nothing which was honestly the most relaxing night I could have had. At somepoint a couple of hours later after I had gone to bed the power came back on and first thing in the morning I called a locksmith who sprung me out of my home made jail cell.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home