Wednesday, June 13, 2007

First Impressions: Macbook

[Edit - I thought I posted this weeks ago, turns out that I hit "Save Now" instead of Publish. Oops]

I got home yesterday evening to be greeted by my new MacBook which had been delivered earlier that day. I've never owned a Mac and have limited experiences on them (although I do fondly remember playing Civ1 on a Mac for the first time at Arlen's house) so I'll post my first impressions after playing around with it for a couple of hours last night.
  • Design is beautiful as is to be expected. Too good perhaps as now I'm worried about scratching the black surface. Not sure why other manufacturers find it so hard to come up with a comparable product, even most high end machines pale in comparison to the Mac.
  • White cables with a black laptop, what's up with that? Same thing happened with my iPod. You'd think they could produce a couple of black cables to complete the package.
  • Setup was quick and relatively easy. Although I somehow forgot my admin password in 5 minutes and had to reset it and the Mac wouldn't recognize the WEP security on my router so I had to change it to WAP in order to get it to work.
  • The remote, I love it. I spend a lot of time watching and listening to things and the remote makes that so simple and fun. This feature blows away and multimedia feature I've ever seen on a Windows box. The only thing is that this feature on the Macbook makes iTv even more worthless imo.
  • So far I haven't had any trouble getting software that I need for it, didn't really expect to have any problems but it's good to know that I can still do all my favorite things.
  • Parallels or Dual Book? At some point I may want to install Windows to play games or do something different and I'm not sure which approach is best. I'll research more before installing anything.
  • My Macbook get's hot. Real hot. I downloaded a little program that helps speed up the fan when that happens and it seems to help.
  • Where's the Page Up and Down keys? I use these all the time, especially when scrolling through web pages. Hopefully I can figure out how to configure the keyboard to get this work.
  • And finally, I still have a lot to learn. I'll be playing around with my new toy for awhile. :)

There's probably a ton more I could write but I'll wait a bit until I get more time to play around with it.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home