Monday, February 12, 2007

Arcade Fire - Neon Bible review

So I got a copy of Arcade Fire's much anticipated sophomore album Neon Bible this weekend, it doesn't get wide release until March 6th. This is one album I've been waiting for a long time as Funeral was my favorite album from the past few years. I'll say that upon initial listening I wasn't blown away, in fact I was slightly disappointed by what I was hearing but I've managed to listen to it 3 or 4 times now and I'll say that it gets better with every listen. One thing I can say for sure is that it sounds toned down. Funeral was often times a chaotic album, the band has about 8 members and play a couple of dozen instruments on the album, so hearing some of that chaos removed from their sound was at first a bit disturbing but the music is more subtle and layered. Neon Bible manages to incorporate a lot of Organ music into it which isn't your typical rock instrument but they manage to pull it off. Overall I'd say it's a very worthy follow-up and Arcade Fire will continue to grow but Neon Bible lacks a little of the raw passion that Funeral had.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Bluetit said...

I agree, takes some listening to get into. Overall a great album which feels progressive.

The way I see it, if they had done the same thing, they'd have been criticised and if they went in a new direction, the same. I'm very happy with the album though.

5:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home